[ale] Moving an ext2 drive from one platform to another

Jason Boyles jason at primefactor.com
Tue Dec 8 13:59:29 EST 1998

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 01:02:55PM -0500, Dan Newcombe wrote:
> I have a SCSI ext2 partition on an Intel box now.  I want to move it to a
> Mac which will be running Linux/68k, or whatever the name of the week is.
> Is this doable?  I'm assuming it is,  I just wanted to make sure before I
> lose all the data.

Older kernels (really old, it seems) may expect the metadata on an
ext2 filesystem to be in CPU native byte order. Modern ext2 keeps
the metadata in LE form on disk no matter what.

Just for chuckles, you might grep for le32_to_cpu in
/your/kernel/source/dir/fs/ext2/*.c on the BE machine. If you see a
whole bunch of calls to this function, then I would expect
everything to be OK, if 68K Linux honors the partition table.
That I'm not sure about.

--
Jason Boyles <jason at primefactor.com>