[ale] Jikes for Linux Goes Open Source on alphaWorks!

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Dec 8 10:20:31 EST 1998

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 solrac at us.ibm.com wrote:

> I thought this information might be of interest to your User Group.
> Please forward the information to everyone you think would be
> interested. Thanks in advanced.

> Jikes Goes Open Source!
>
> IBM is announcing the availability of the source code
> for its Jikes Java technology, developed by IBM Research.
> Users have asked IBM to consider offering Jikes source
> code, and we listened!

It's nice to see IBM getting into the Open Source camp.  Apparently they're
happy with their experiment with Apache.  Does anyone else think it would be
really interesting if they open-sourced the OS/2 presentation manager and
libraries so we could port that to Linux?  Then we could run all the ATMs,
banks, and BiaCore labs around the world! ;-)

In Java news, "In a major step forward for Java technology, Sun
has officially launched the new JavaTM 2 platform, formerly code-named "JDK
1.2," today" (from www.sun.com).  For some reason, the assertion that JDK
1.2 was a code name still cracks me up.

later,
chris