[ale] Sabre 0.2.3 flight sim game

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Dec 7 22:45:53 EST 1998

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, frank zamenski wrote:

> >On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Nick Lucent wrote:
> >
> >> get the compiled version from
> >> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/games? and use
> >> alien to convert it
> >
> >Um, no, don't do that.  Caldera is libc5, while Debian is libc6 (glibc2), so
> >it's not going to work.
> >

> I was kinda wondering about that. Thus I assume it wouldn't work on RH 5.1
> then either, right? Which was going to be my next attempt on another
> machine! :-O

RedHat 5.1 is glibc, so the debian binary would work on it, but if you
compile it yourself on the RH box, you'll need to do so statically if you
want it to work on your caldera box.

BTW, does anyone know if the next version of Caldera (tentatively scheduled
for 1st quarter 99, I believe) is going to be glibc?  I know Volkerding's
said that 3.6 was the last libc5 slackware.

> >Alternately, if you post exactly what the error is you get when you try to
> >compile, somebody might be able to help you figure out how to compile it
> >yourself.
> >

> Okay, I'll see if I can output the compile to file. Uh, can I get that from
> stder -- which I only vaguely understand anyway! -- and if so, how? (TIA
> for your patience!)

something like

make 2>&1 > make.log

should do the trick.

Normally, every Unix program has three I/O streams:

0 is stdin (input)
1 is stdout (output)
2 is stderr (errors)

all the 2>&1 > make.log business is doing is saying that you want to
redirect stderr (2) to stdout (1).  Then, you direct stdout to make.log.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu