[ale] Problems

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Mon Dec 7 06:59:18 EST 1998

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Michael B Golden wrote:

> 	I've had a couple problems, which interfere with my using on
> Linux, some to such a degree that it is very unpleasant to use.
>
> 1. I installed Netscape Communicator 4.05 off of my Slackware CD. When I
> ran it, it ran unbearably slow. Even a simple operation such as hiding a
> bar at the top which takes a split second in Windows takes 20-25 seconds
> to perform in Linux. Not all operations have this big a difference, but
> there is a signifigant performance hit. I haven't gotten to test out how
> it performs on web pages yet, and may not be able to for at least a week.

Glancing at your machine specs at the bottom, your machine is certainly up
to the task.  I suspect you are short of swap space.  Type 'free' and see
if anything appears in the third row (Swap) under the first column
(Total).  If not, then you need to create some swap space.

> 3. I need to change the resolution, as most of the programs look strange
> in 640x480, and do not fit in the screen. Virtual Resolution does not
> help, because the taskbar in fvwm95 stretches so that I must scroll for
> it too. When X starts, it shows several lines that say that it can't use
> a certain resolution because of the hsync freq. I don't have my monitor's
> manual, but I know that the monitor can run up to 1024x780 in Windows.

Obviously you already know you use xf86config to set these up....

When selecting resolutions, put the higher resolutions first, i.e. when
prompted for a list of resolutions for 8bpp, enter 432 for 1024x768,
800x600, 640x480.  Also bear in mind that if you have only 1MB of video
RAM, that you must use 8bpp at any resolution >800x600, and no more than
16bpp at 800x600.

> 4. When I had Slackware 3.0, I found the screensaver "rock" in the
> bundle. It is a space simulation(like in windows), but the 'craft'
> appears to turn. I found this one to be missing in Slackware 3.5 and am
> wondering how I can get it off of my old CD, and where to put it so that
> I can access it.

Use xlock  -mode star.

> P.S. On a more positive note, I believe I have been firmly stuck to Linux
> now, and I'm wondering how I can help spread its use. Are there T-Shirts
> available (Non-distribution specific or Slackware specific)? Are there
> posters, or any other things available? If so to this stuff, where can I
> get it, and what is the price range?

A friend of mine has a collection of Linux graphics for web pages and
other applications, and it can be found at http://www.berrex.com, but be
warned, it is a LOT of stuff.

Best O' luck.
--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
Stealing is illegal... the government hates competition.