[ale] Sabre 0.2.3 flight sim game

frank zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Dec 6 16:46:36 EST 1998

Anyone have any luck compiling Sabre 0.2.3 (patch 4-98) from sabre.cobite.com?

Kinda cute little freebie fighter sim, also comes in a Win95 version. (The
latter runs fine, is addicting, and most importantly, it runs in a small
win and is easy to hide from the boss!). Under Caldera OpenLinux Lite (uh,
I forgot the ver, but it's at least six months old now allready), kernel
2.0.33, it pukes when finishing up the binaries. I think it's trying to
compile okay on that distribs libc, and I'm somewhat sure I have all the
appropriate stuff installed (gcc++ and libs et al), as the compile goes
merily along for five or so minutes, builds its subdirs, etc, then finally
stumbles creating some final bins with some cryptic error message and
request to send bug report to Cobite. (Uh-huh). The docs are sparse, but as
root from it's /usr/local/sabre dir, you do ./configure, then make. That's
it! RunSabre to play the game. Which, it even tries to do: brings up a
menu, but after selecting anything, no game graphics appear and it just
quickly falls back to the menu. Machine is an older AcerOpen P100 with
96meg 60ns RAM, runs other canned Caldera stuff okay. Unfortunatly I don't
see any error.log to copy to this lug, or to send to cobite, for that
matter. The problems doc generally addresses troubles for the compiled
game. The cobite website is extremely sparse on help info, but this is the
latest patched ver from them. Might this be an svga lib problem? How would
I know? How do I check? (What else?) Thanks!

fgz