[ale] linux and mouse problems

frank zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Dec 6 16:10:16 EST 1998

What might make X 'loose' it's serial mouse? Hardware is nothing fancy, a
'former' ALR 486DX upped with an AMD 5x86/133 (pretty slick little cheappie
upgrade, apx x2.5 increase in performance!), 20megs 30pin SIM RAM (alas,
these things are hard to find now), Lilo bootable Win95/RH 5.1, krnl
2.0.35, Diamond 64 ISA on a VGA Xserver, two Maxter 540's (BIOS is old).
Mouse continues to work fine under Win95, and used to work fine under X,
now it won't work at all.
It was properly compiled into the kernel. Symptoms (all as root): could see
the cursor although it wouldn't move; then rebooted (logged onto a VT,
killed X ps stuff, did proper shutdown); logon root, startx, then couldn't
even see the cursor anymore. Reran XF86 configs, also a no-go, haven't
started X since, it's a total pain. Dmesg shows the three serial ports
(standard com1 & com2, & com4 int Modem irq3 2e8), /dev/mouse--> /dev/ttyS0
still exists, setserial shows 'em, mouse continues to work under Win95 ....
what happened? Not sure if it's gpm, I wasn't considering it at the time,
besides I thought that was a psaux problem? Although I don't see the cursor
on the full VT anway. Well anyway, it used to work!

fgz