[ale] Control Panel Process Running Amok

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Tue Dec 1 15:05:32 EST 1998

No one picked up on my qn last time so I'll ask again - the prob is still
happening...

My RH5.1 Samba server is set up with default runlevel of 5 so I can XDM to
it using NetManage Xoftware.

Sometimes when I log on I notice that I have a lot of CPU util for no good
reason (I'm the only user for now).  So, I run top and see that there are
two processes running the command "control-panel."  One of them is eating
95%+ CPU time.  The other one looks normal.  If I kill the control panel
window that automatically pops up when I log in (this is fvwm), the
normal-looking process goes away and the hogging one is left running.  If I
kill the hogging one (by PID) it goes away and life goes on as normal.

Why is this happening and how can I prevent it?  This is really bothering
me.

- Jeff