[ale] 2nd HD installation

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 3 00:10:25 EDT 1998

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Greetings again !
>
> Thanks to all for previous help.
>
> Running RedHat4.2, I have physically installed a 2nd HD [5.7Meg].
>
> I wish to put several different filesystems on it including other
> Operating Systems.

I assume you fdisked first and made the type of partitions for the other
OS's?

> I did the following:
> 	mkfs -t ext2 -c /dev/hdb

personally I use mk2fs /dev/hd??
> 	mount /dev/hdb /space
> 	cd /space
> and all seems OK.
>
> Questions:
> 	1-Is this the only way, that is mounted with hda as root, that
> linux can know of this drive ?

add it to /etc/fstab and you dont need to worry about mounting it anymore

> 	2-How can I now divide it up into say.... hdb1, hdb2,.... ?

You need to fdisk it and make however many partitions you want of whatever
type you want

> 	3-What's the easiest way to install other Op Systems also onto 				it ?

If one of them is windows then make a boot disk and be prepared to
reinstall lilo

> 	4-Do you have any other advice/suggestions about optional usage
>
> Cordially,
> 		ccthomas at flash.net

        "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
  Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977