[ale] kernel/userspace debate

jason at alltel.net jason at alltel.net
Sat Apr 11 00:27:26 EDT 1998

On 10 Apr, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> 	I don't think you can compare a web server and NFS... one is a
> filesystem type and the other is a information server... I would think
> that the filesystem support would belong as part of the kernel so it
> doesn't have to rely on out side apps to work...

Hmm. I should have been more clear . . . the kernel NFS services to
which I refer are those of a kernel space SERVER, not the fstype.

The NFS server has traditionally been implemented as a group of
userspace daemons providing NFS export services (via sun rpc, of
course): e.g. rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, portmapper. Nowadays (2.1.x) we've
got a trio of modules and their attendant kernel threads handling NFS
server duties: nfsd, lockd, and sunrpc.

----
Jason Boyles <jason at alltel.net>
"As long as you are not reading me, the fourth word of this
sentence has no referent."