[ale] digest mode mailing list seperated out?

Steven A DuChene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Tue Apr 7 14:10:43 EDT 1998

I get digest messages from several mailing lists and I am wondering if
anyone has ever seen a utility to separate a digest back out into individual
messages again. I have several digests from a mailing list that is not
archived anywhere and would like to see about separating the messages back
out in order to incorporate them into a searchable archive.

I tried removing the headers from the top of the digest message and then
saved the resulting text file with the individual digest messages in it
but when I pointed elm at the textfile it gave me errors saying the mail
folder was corrupt. Apparently when the individual messages are put
into the digest message some important header/formatting info is lost.
I guess what I need is some sort of utility to fake the restore of that
info to each individual message in the larger digest message so they
appear to be a bunch of messages saved to a mail folder.

I can't possibly be the first person who has wanted to do this so I don't
want to have to re-invent the wheel so to speak.
--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		  X/CDE/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.