[ale] Media cablemodem

sjd sjd at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 9 14:35:21 EDT 1997

>Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 11:23:27 -0400
>To: Alexander Barton <alex at cad.gatech.edu>
>From: sjd <sjd at mindspring.com>
>Subject: Re: [ale] Media cablemodem

might as well post the entire thing I sent to Alex
-s

>At 10:34 AM 9/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>Media1 is offering cable modem service in my area.  It sounds
>>like a very nice deal -- megabit speeds and I can be connected
>>all the time.  Does anyone have expierence with Media1 and/or
>>cable modems?
>
>Just experience with @home and LanCity cablemodems.
>Notes:
>They DO NOT SUPPORT LINUX.  In fact, after a phone call with a tech that
was a Linux enthusiast, a second phone call turned up silence -- he was
chewed out by his supervisor.  Of course, YMMV with Media1.

>They used some weird "Class-C and a half" addressing scheme.  Made the
Subnet mask: 255.255.240.0.  Nothing difficult, just unusual.

>IMPORTANT: they use static routing with your ethernet's HW address.  This
was the cause of much debugging.  Two machines -- one with win95, setup by
the @home tech, the other a linux box.  win95 worked, linux didn't.
Swapped the ethernet cards and the Linux box works, win95 doesn't.

>What is the cost for media1?  @home charges $35/month 10mb downstream, 1mb
upstream.

>Hope it helps.
>
>Steve Derezinski