[ale] aliases

Michael H. Warfield mhw at alcove.wittsend.com
Thu Sep 4 16:33:42 EDT 1997

> I would like to setup sendmail so that I could have the two email addresses on
> our server listed below.

> cadd at itserve.com
> cadd at cobb.itserve.com

	You're setting up virtual mail domains.

> And I'd like for the two addresses to go to different users.  I think I need to
> start by editing the sendmail.cw file so that we receive email for
> cobb.itserve.com and itserve.com and modify my name server files also but how do
> I deal with the aliases file?  Would the following line be legal?

> cadd at cobb:jsmith

	No.  This is not a job for the aliases file at all.  This is a
job for the virtual users table.  To enable the table you need the following
lines enabled in your sendmail.cf file:

# Virtual user table (maps incoming users)
Kvirtuser hash /etc/virtusertable

	You should also have the following somewhere down in your rule sets:

SParse1
# handle virtual users
R$+ < @ $=w . >         $: < $(virtuser $1 @ $2 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 < @ $2 . >
R<@> $+ + $* < @ $* . >
                        $: < $(virtuser $1 + * @ $3 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 + $2 < @ $3 . >
R<@> $+ + $* < @ $* . >
                        $: < $(virtuser $1 @ $3 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 + $2 < @ $3 .

R<@> $+ < @ $+ . >      $: < $(virtuser @ $2 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 < @ $2 . >
R<@> $+                 $: $1
R< error : $- $+ > $*   $#error $@ $( dequote $1 $) $: $2
R< $+ > $+ < @ $+ >     $: $>97 $1

	If you don't have the above...  STOP!  Get sendmail 8.8.7 from
ftp.sendmail.org and rebuild with the latest sendmail and update your
sendmail.cf file from the cf directory in that package.  The chances
of manually updating an older .cf file without screwing it up are slim
and none.

	Now...  Once you have that...  Create your /etc/virtusertable
as follows:

cadd at itserve.com	realuser1
cadd at cobb.itserve.com 	realuser2

	Then run the following command:

	makemap hash /etc/virtusertable.db < /etc/virtusertable

	Restart sendmail and you're off and running.

> Keep in mind that I'll have another alias as listed below.

> cadd:gtaylor

	This will fall out in the wash when neither of the above two addresses
are matched.

> ------         David Hamm - dhamm at itserve.com           --------

	Regards,
	Mike