[ale] Redhat 4.1 memory problems

Bryan R. Mattern gt7451b at acme.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 31 11:05:27 EST 1997

I built up a machine on Thursday and installed RH 4.1, just as on my
notebook.  The problem is, linux only seems to recognize 14.7MB of the
72MB of memory in the box.  BIOS is giving me the right numbers, but I
can't get linux to see it.  Swap appears to be working fine, but the
drive is noisy trying to make up for physical RAM under X.

Here is some info:

40MB swap partition and root filesystem (all devices SCSI off a 2940UW)
An old Micronics AT motherboard
72MB RAM (2x32 and 2x8)
P75

Am I missing something simple?  Anything to check next?  Anyone ever
heard of this?

tia,

Bryan Mattern
gt7451b at acme.gatech.edu