[ale] permission denied, dir not found errs..

geary geary at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Oct 19 18:46:17 EDT 1997

> On 17 Oct , geary wrote:
> >   I just tried to put a new libc and ld.so
> > on a redhat system from .tgz packages.  Why
> > I tried this is too long to explain but my
> > ques is, Why does it now say
> >  no login directory [/home/geary]?
> > for all users but root and
> >  permission denied: /bin/sh
> > when it tries to run some stuff when booting?
>
> My guess is that your libc is the problem.  RedHat uses pam, and the
> tarball you installed probably isn't pam-enabled.  Install a libc rpm
> that you know works and it may fix your problem.

  I tried re-installing all three of the rpms on the FTP site that start
off libc-* but it didn't fix it.  The tarballs I installed were ldso.tgz
and libc.tgz.  When tried to re-install the RH I first did libc-*.rpm and
ld-so...rpm but that didn't work.  I then tried re-doing the install so
the base installation would get rewritten but that didn't help either.

  what is remaining that is screwing stuff up?
    -geary