[ale] confusion:)

Dan Newcombe newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Oct 17 14:28:37 EDT 1997

> The thing is...Do I need a LAN or ethernet card? (Is there a difference?)

Most likely you will need a card.  It really depends on how smart you can
make Windows95 be!!!   As for a difference, an ethernet card is just a
type of LAN card, as is a token ring card, or a *shudder* arcnet card.

> Can I do it through a direct coax cable or do I need a router?

If you get some cards that support ThinNet/10Base2, you can just use the
coax.  If you get cards that do twisted pair as well, you can either get a
crossover cable, or try to find a cheap hub to plug them into.  (The
easiest will be the coax.)   The P60 that you are setting up is what is
going to act as a router for your home-net.

The other option is a null-modem serial connection.  more about that
below.

> And will the P166 automatically get a net connection if it's ethered to
> the P60 and the P60 is connected?

No.  You have to take care of some steps.
 1) You will need to give the P166 an IP number.  There are several
subnets reserved for situations like this.  All my machines at home have
IP numbers of 10.0.0.x - makes it easy to remember.  On the P166, you will
also have to tell it to use the P60 as the router.
 2) You will have to give the P60 an ip number, in addition to the one
that it gets from dialing in.  Perhaps it should be 10.0.0.1 and the P166
10.0.0.2.  The IP # you give the P60 is what you tell the P166 to use as
the router/gateway.
 3) You need to setup routes on the P60 to make the traffic go where it
should.
 4) The hardest part -  you need to setup the IP forwarding on the P60,
along with the firewall stuff.

In more detail - assuming the P60 is 10.0.0.1 and P166 is 10.0.0.2
First the P166
1) On Win95, just fill in the boxes.  Use 10.0.0.1 for the gateway/router
   and 255.0.0.0 for the netmask.
   On Linux
	ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0 broadcast 10.0.0.255
	route add default eth0
	route add default gw 10.0.0.1 eth0

2) On the P60
	The PPP connection should automatically take care of making the
	correct ifconfig and route entries.
	iconfig eth0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 broadcast 10.0.0.255
	route add 10.0.0.0 eth0

So, now, we have the P166 sending all traffic off the 10.0.0 subnet to the
P60, and we have the P60 sending all traffic to the 10.0.0 subnet over the
ethernet interface, and the ppp connection most likely has ppp0 setup as
the default route. (I combined step 3 into the above)

Part 4 I can't do from memory - hopefully the above is correct - if not,
I'm sure someone will let me know.  I know the above works for machines
with real IP's, just don't know what needs to change for the ip
masquerading.

The other option I mentioned a while ago was to use a null-modem serial
cable.  Basically, on the P60, where you already have a PPP connection to
the net, you setup a PPP connection on another serial port to the P166.
It is straighforward to setup between two linux boxes (and when I broke my
ethernet PCMCIA card, what I had to do) but the trick is trying to convice
Win95 to start up a connection without dialing.  I don't know if that can
be done correctly, without losing much hair!!!

Hope this helped.  Grab the NET-HOWTO and give it a read...it probably
covers this a lot better!!!

	-Dan
Dan Newcombe                                      newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
"Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe, But was
 that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?"  --Marillion