[ale] M$ vs Netscape news

Robert L. Harris robert at ast.lmco.com
Thu Oct 2 09:45:36 EDT 1997

Anyone got a pic of this?  I'd like to put it on my web page....

Marc A. Torres wrote:

>                                     Microsoft disses Netscape
>
>                                     But Netscape has the last laugh as Mozilla stomps on
>                                     pranksters' giant 'e'
>
>                                     October 1, 1997: 6:31 p.m. ET
>

>                         MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (Reuter) - A party for 1,000 people
>                         Tuesday night apparently wasn't enough for some Microsoft
>                         Corp. employees. They had to top off the night with a prank on
>                         Internet software rival Netscape Communications Corp.
>                             Netscape employees found a gigantic blue stage prop in the
>                         shape of an "e" in front of their company's front door
>                         Wednesday morning.
>                             The night before, the same 10-by-12-foot stage prop --
>                         which represents the logo for Microsoft's Internet Explorer, or
>                         IE, browser -- was spotted at a Microsoft bash in San
>                         Francisco. Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates and about 1,000
>                         industry executives were celebrating the launch of the newest
>                         version of Internet Explorer.
>                             A group of people were seen dropping off the "e" in front of
>                         Netscape's headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., about 1:30
>                         a.m. Wednesday, said Netscape spokeswoman Chris Holten. A
>                         card attached to the prop read, "From the IE team," she said.
>                             "It seems awfully immature to resort to fraternity tactics to
>                         draw attention," Holten said. "We're winning the battle. It's
>                         something you'd expect from a startup, not the largest
>                         software company in the world."
>                             A Microsoft spokeswoman declined to comment.
>                             Netscape and Microsoft have been battling to dominate the
>                         market for Internet browsers for the past two years. By most
>                         industry estimates, Netscape has about three-quarters of the
>                         market with its Navigator browser, but Microsoft is rapidly
>                         gaining with each new release of Internet Explorer.
>                             Netscape had the last laugh in the prank, though. Company
>                         employees put their 12-foot mascot -- a green Godzilla-like
>                         foam creature dubbed "Mozilla" -- on top of the "e".
>                             Mozilla held a placard that read, "Netscape 72, Microsoft
>                         18," referring to recent market share data.

Robert L. Harris          |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_    You don't understand the question

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

perl -e 'print
$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'