[ale] Win95 and linux network

David Hamm dhamm at itserve.com
Wed Jun 4 21:55:19 EDT 1997

On 05-Jun-97 The Wayward Mage wrote:
> [...]
>that
>> will act as a TCP/IP gateway, but it will not do so for SLIP connections.
>The
>> catch is, the Dial-up Server stuff is on the Plus Pack, which I don't have,
>and
>> also the Resource Book says "Windows 95 must have special Registry settings
>> act as an IP router." It has no mention of what those settings may be.
>

>I do have the Plus! pack...still haven't a clue what to do with it..
>
>> I know nothing about SLIRP, and am too lazy too find out, but I guess it's
>an
>> IP emulator over a slip connection; so WIN95 is not going to do this for
>you.
>> I wonder if anyone with a kernel series near yours would recompile a kernel
>> for you if you posted your general config. If you're near 2.0.29 or 2.1.41,
>> I'll compile one and email it to you (not the ale list) once, maybe twice.
>

>SLiRP is a SLIP/PPP emulator.
>

>> FWIW, I have Linux & WIN95 on the same machine, a 486/33 8Meg. Netscape PPP
>> through Linux with X up was not as much fun as you'd think;it had a tendency
>> for TCP/ip to stall and d (ifconfig) until I upped to 2.1.39 with all the
>> corresponding libs and new NET-tools. I'M surprised how well it runs at 28.8
>con
>> nection and 38400 port speed considering I have a 16450 serial I/O chip.
>> Now, Win95, it runs at that speed, but as they said at the Iran/Contra
>> scandal, "mistakes were made".I doubt having Win95 in front would help you.
>> You might try swapping the disk drives between the machines (and even out
>> the memory say 12/16 instead of 8/20) to see if there is a performance
>> problem with the dx25.
>

>I think having '95 in front *would* help because the '95 apps are the only
>place I have problems.  For one, programs like NetMeeting attempt to open
>ports below 1024 which I can't do unless I'm root (and I'd rather not,
>even though I *am* root).  Another problem I have is that my client
>machine uses 72 pin SIMMs and the server uses 30(32*) pin SIMMs, so I
>can't share RAM without buying hardware.
>
>It's been suggested that I use NT rather than '95, but I can't afford
>NT...I just want *anything* that will give me the access I need..(yah, I
>know, make both machines straight linux and you'll be happy ;)  ) but I
>can't do that, much as I agree.
>
>I had 8M on the 25 and 8M on the 66, and it was no different, the only
>difference the extra RAM made is that stuff loaded faster.. :-/I hooked
>the modem directly to the client and couldn't get it to login, but I only
>spent about 5 minutes on it, so it doesn't really matter...but I'm still
>stuck with my problem...if I'm using Iphone/WebPhone/FreeTel/PowWow/(etc
>voice chat program) it should work flawlessly on a 28.8 modem, and I'm on
>a 33.6 (yes, my ISP supports 33.6) and yet it doesn't...
>
>I can hear them just fine, but my data comes across choppy...broken up.

Just for grinns. Look at the MTU and MRU of the ppp connection.  If they are at
1500 see if you can set them down to say 512.  The only problem is that the MTU
and MRU are usually set by the server not the peer and you may have no way to
change them.

>If I can solve this problem, I won't even need to worry about changing the
>client to the server...
>
>If you know anything about this, please e-mail me.. it's the only problem
>I have with Linux... :-/
>
>Michael

------         David Hamm - dhamm at itserve.com           --------
--    The Atlanta Linux Showcase - June 7 & 8 - Atlanta, GA      --
----------- http://www.ale.org/showcase/  ----------------