[ale] Win95 and linux network

Geoffrey Myers geof at denali
Thu Jun 5 07:37:03 EDT 1997

In all fairness to this list and the subject it addresses, I suggest this
discussion may continue elsewhere...

}
}On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Michael B. Nelson wrote:
}
}> Howdy all,
}> According to the Win95 Resource book, Win95 can act as a dial-up PPP server that
}> will act as a TCP/IP gateway, but it will not do so for SLIP connections. The
}> catch is, the Dial-up Server stuff is on the Plus Pack, which I don't have, and
}> also the Resource Book says "Windows 95 must have special Registry settings to
}> act as an IP router." It has no mention of what those settings may be.
}
}
}I do have the Plus! pack...still haven't a clue what to do with it..
}
}> I know nothing about SLIRP, and am too lazy too find out, but I guess it's an
}> IP emulator over a slip connection; so WIN95 is not going to do this for you.
}> I wonder if anyone with a kernel series near yours would recompile a kernel
}> for you if you posted your general config. If you're near 2.0.29 or 2.1.41,
}> I'll compile one and email it to you (not the ale list) once, maybe twice.
}
}
}SLiRP is a SLIP/PPP emulator.
}
}>
}> FWIW, I have Linux & WIN95 on the same machine, a 486/33 8Meg. Netscape PPP
}> through Linux with X up was not as much fun as you'd think;it had a tendency
}> for TCP/ip to stall and d (ifconfig) until I upped to 2.1.39 with all the
}> corresponding libs and new NET-tools. I'M surprised how well it runs at 28.8 con
}> nection and 38400 port speed considering I have a 16450 serial I/O chip.
}> Now, Win95, it runs at that speed, but as they said at the Iran/Contra
}> scandal, "mistakes were made".I doubt having Win95 in front would help you.
}> You might try swapping the disk drives between the machines (and even out
}> the memory say 12/16 instead of 8/20) to see if there is a performance
}> problem with the dx25.
}
}
}I think having '95 in front *would* help because the '95 apps are the only
}place I have problems.  For one, programs like NetMeeting attempt to open
}ports below 1024 which I can't do unless I'm root (and I'd rather not,
}even though I *am* root).  Another problem I have is that my client
}machine uses 72 pin SIMMs and the server uses 30(32*) pin SIMMs, so I
}can't share RAM without buying hardware.
}
}It's been suggested that I use NT rather than '95, but I can't afford
}NT...I just want *anything* that will give me the access I need..(yah, I
}know, make both machines straight linux and you'll be happy ;)  ) but I
}can't do that, much as I agree.
}
}I had 8M on the 25 and 8M on the 66, and it was no different, the only
}difference the extra RAM made is that stuff loaded faster.. :-/I hooked
}the modem directly to the client and couldn't get it to login, but I only
}spent about 5 minutes on it, so it doesn't really matter...but I'm still
}stuck with my problem...if I'm using Iphone/WebPhone/FreeTel/PowWow/(etc
}voice chat program) it should work flawlessly on a 28.8 modem, and I'm on
}a 33.6 (yes, my ISP supports 33.6) and yet it doesn't...
}
}I can hear them just fine, but my data comes across choppy...broken up.
}If I can solve this problem, I won't even need to worry about changing the
}client to the server...
}
}If you know anything about this, please e-mail me.. it's the only problem
}I have with Linux... :-/
}
}Michael
}
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com	http://www.abraxis.com/geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....