[ale] Heckling billy-g

Dan Newcombe newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Jun 4 20:41:23 EDT 1997

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, sjd wrote:
> At this point, I yelled, "IT LOOKS LIKE A MAINFRAME"

Yes, but not as reliable or powerful :)   Which is why it is cheaper.

> I dunno if billy-g heard me, but it sure felt good to let him know my
> feelings.

My fave was when I was at a Microsoft seminar introing Win95 in a techie
way.  I asked the guy if they'd fixed the bug that overwrote the master
boot record when installing 95, thus wiping out other OS's (or at least a
boot loader).  He told me it wasn't a bug.  After about 30 seconds of is
to, is not, I rephrased to "Have they fixed the design flaw"

> Question for discussion:  What do you call a week in which you see Bill
> Gates give a Keynote at Comdex, and Linus give a keynote at ALS?

Evil warming up for good?   At least if Linus said Linux 2.3 would be out
this year, I'd believe it.  I think the first two/three years I went to
COMDEX, Bill said "this" year the new Windows will be out.  I guess now
he's doing the same thing with NT 5.

Dan Newcombe                                      newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
"The fool who escaped from paradise will look over his shoulders and cry...So
I'll hold my peace forever when you wear your bridal gown."   -Marillion