[ale] netscape dies

Mark Dyson corbie at infinet.com
Mon Jun 2 10:16:11 EDT 1997

At 09:54 AM 6/2/97 -0500, c_fowler at hotmail.com wrote:
>Every so often when I get to an intensive web page, netscape just dies.
It is
>like it kills itself and gives no error messages.  Does anyone else have
this pr
>oblem and know what it could be?
>
>Thanks,
>Christopher Fowler

I'll bet this is when you hit some Java applet.  If so, it's been traced to
the Linux version Netscape having been compiled under an old version of
libc and never updated.  I think it's libc.5.12 (help me out here?) that
you need.  I renamed my netscape to netscape.bin and make a shell script
called netscape, and put a copy of the older libc in the netscape directory
tree.  The script calls the netscape.bin and makes it use the proper libc.
All I get now is a default background warning message when I start
netscape, which I can ignore.  The procedure and the script can be found on
the Linux Documentation Project site.

-
Mark L. Dyson -- http://www.infinet.com/~corbie
  corbie at infinet.com (personal)
  mdyson at afit.af.mil (professional)
"No rule should be followed off a cliff." -- CJ Cherryh