[ale] boot botch

Zot O'Connor zot at crl.com
Wed Jan 29 00:22:03 EST 1997

Matthew Avery wrote:

I know your frstration level is high, but this isn;t very much
information...

> I have a major problem with our nameserver.  It's getting
> part way through the setup files in /etc/rc.d and flaking out.
> By that I mean it appears that the system is running, but some
> of the stuff that should definitely be starting during boot-up
> isn't, such as sendmail.

Do you have logs of this?  Have you tried calling the rc.d/* manaully,
cvould there be  a mount or path problem?

>  On this same machine I had corrupted
> swap space at one time, but since it had 16 Mb of RAM and I'm
> not doing anything with it but routing mail and nameserving I
> just disabled swap, rebooted and let it go.

Redo the swap space, a couple of spamm mails and 16 MB is not enough.

Zot O'Connor                     zot at crl.com
Home Page:                       http://www.crl.com/~zot/
Improv Page:                     http://www.crl.com/~zot/improv.html
World Wide Web Calendar:         http://www.wwwcal.com