[ale] Linux and PnP soundcards?

Peter Ekstrom lorraine at netdepot.com
Mon Jan 27 19:02:24 EST 1997

I'm having some problems getting my soundcard to work with Linux and
am wondering if someone here can help me.

I'm running the 2.0.28 kernel with the PnP patch mentioned in the sound how-to.
I also have the isapnp tool and have gotten the soundcard to 'wake up' during
boot, but when I try to send a sound file to /dev/dsp or /dev/audio, like
the example in the sound how-to, nothing happens.
My soundcard is a Soundblaster16 PnP, no AWE32 option.
I had to give it a different IRQ because of my SCSI card, could that be part
of my problem?  In the manual they say that the 'possible' value is 5, I had
to change it to 7 for it to get to the point where I am now.
They never mentioned any jumpers for the IRQ in the card, so I figure that
PnP cards are configurable on that point...

I would appreciate any help at this point!

//Peter
! Name..: Peter Ekstrom         !      IBM AS/400 - Programmer/Analyst      !
! Email.: lorraine at netdepot.com ! Millard-Wayne, Inc.      Atlanta, Georgia !