[ale] Kernel Compile Problem

Geoffrey Myers geof at denali.abraxis.com
Fri Jan 24 09:02:06 EST 1997

I'll hazard a guess based on a small amount of research I've done.  There
are references to 'as86' in the arch/i386/Makefile.  It appears that
it is prefaced by a variable so it may be trying to execute something of
the form:

*as86

Again this is a guess, you may want to check out the makefile referenced.
If the variable is not set, then this could be part of the problem.  The
actual lines of code in the makefile is:

AS86    =$(CROSS_COMPILE)as86 -0 -a
AS386   =$(CROSS_COMPILE)as86 -3

Good luck.

}Howdy all,
}
}Sorry to take everyone away from the internet seminars, but I ran into a
}problem compiling 2.0.28.  The compile bombs out with the following msgs
}
}make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.28/arch/i386/boot'
}gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.28/include -E -D__ELF__
}-traditional -DSVGA_MODE=NORMAL_VGA  bootsect.S -o bootsect.s
}as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
}make[1]: as86: Command not found
}make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
}make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.28/arch/i386/boot'
}make: *** [zImage] Error 2
}
}I *think* that is all of what is relevant, if not I can send more of the
}output.  I amn't a programmer, so any clues as to what this is telling
}me?  Is there a straight-foward fix for it?  I *really* don't wanna go
}mucking around in the kernel sources. I am not qualified.
}
}OKay, I'll let us get back to the problem at hand. :)
}
}Todd
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com	http://www.abraxis.com/geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....