[ale] PPP and RedHat 4.0

Zot O'Connor zot at crl.com
Mon Jan 20 19:19:12 EST 1997

Thomas J. Parker wrote:

> OK, I can get a PPP connection up (it shows up ok with ifconfig).
> I can ping the address of the machine on the other end of the
> connection and it looks ok.  BUT, I can't see (ping or otherwise)
> anything else.

So you can ping thePPP link, and no further.

Is you ppp link your defaultroute?

i.e. does your box know to send packets to the ppp link?

try a traceroute to say cc.gatech.edu or something (probably need the
IP)

If it dead ends after the PPP link (i,e, you ISP terminal router) than
its their fault.  If you never reach that machine, then add defaultroute
to your ppp command.

Zot O'Connor                     zot at crl.com
Home Page:                       http://www.crl.com/~zot/
Improv Page:                     http://www.crl.com/~zot/improv.html