[ale] PPP dialup question

tfreeman tfreeman at vnet.net
Thu Jan 16 14:37:53 EST 1997

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Kendrick Myatt wrote:

> Hello! :)
>         I'm not in Atlanta, but someone told me this was a good place to get
> answers for my linux questions.  Here goes...
I'm in Charlotte, and I'll brag on these ALE people. Pretty good crowd...
>         What is the best (easiest) way to get a PPP connection from my linux
> box to my isp via a modem?  Ideally I'd like for it to be like my Win95 box
> (stop throwing things!) and dial on demand when I need Internet, and redial
> if disconnected.  Is this possible?
>         I remember years ago getting ppp with pppd, but it did not have
> those features I would like, and I think it was hard to work with the chat
> script and all.  Surely there is something better now... Thanks in advance
> for any info! :)

I don't have the appropriate URL's, but you can find diald and supposedly
do what you want under Linux. I don't have it myself, because my ISP has
been a little flakey over the past several months, and my chat script
wasn't robust enough to work around the trouble. Since the ISP connection
is getting better lately, I'm reconsidering using diald. (FWIW, diald
proper is somewhere on the ALE ftp server)

>  Also, I'm up here in Nashville.  Is there a Nashville Linux
>Enthusiasts group?  TIA!
>
> Regards,
>
> Kendrick

Tom Freeman