[ale] PPP dialup question

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Thu Jan 16 14:19:03 EST 1997

Diald is probably what you want.  From the Debian Packages file:

 .
 The purpose of diald is to make it transparently appear that you
 have a permanent connection to a remote site (usually your provider).
 .
 You MUST have SLIP devices in the kernel in order to use diald, even if
 you only plan to use only PPP connections. Of course, you will need PPP
 devices as well.
 .
 Diald needs a program like "chat" or "expect" to actually dial.
 Sorry, "dip" cannot be used.

Regards,
Jim.
---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> Hello! :)
>         I'm not in Atlanta, but someone told me this was a good place to get
> answers for my linux questions.  Here goes...
>         What is the best (easiest) way to get a PPP connection from my linux
> box to my isp via a modem?  Ideally I'd like for it to be like my Win95 box
> (stop throwing things!) and dial on demand when I need Internet, and redial
> if disconnected.  Is this possible?
>         I remember years ago getting ppp with pppd, but it did not have
> those features I would like, and I think it was hard to work with the chat
> script and all.  Surely there is something better now... Thanks in advance
> for any info! :)
>         Also, I'm up here in Nashville.  Is there a Nashville Linux
> Enthusiasts group?  TIA!
>
> Regards,
>
> Kendrick

Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269