[ale] ALE April Speaker

PhReAk! gt7508b at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 26 21:39:45 EST 1997

> 	For a display, I'm using Virtual I/O glasses (designed for very
> 		low end virtual reality, and for games)
>
> 	Problem I'm having now is the display is awful.  When in shell mode,
> the font is so hard to read, it's almost useless.  When I load X-Windows,
> I have other problems.  I'm kind of in limbo right now.  I'm waiting for
> another display but I'm not sure when it's coming.

I remmember when I first installed slackware there were a ton of fonts
available for VGA displays... I don't use them anymore, but I would think
that they might be used to improve the text display on Virtual I/O
glasses. I wonder if he has experiemented with these. A 40 column display
mode might also do the trick. I am also interested in the problems with X,
I imagine if text mode is hard to read the X windows is impossible. I
think the ALE folks may be able to help improve this from a software angle
instead of a hardware angle. I have been thinking of building a wearable
for some time, but I don't have much money to spend on one, and when I saw
the virtual I/O glasses at Computer City I immediately wondered if you
could remove one of the displays and use it as a monoptic display for a
wearable... apparently so, and if the bugs can be worked out this would be
a tremedously economical way to build wearables, as the display is
currently the most expensive part. If wearables are going to walk out of
the research community and into the hobbyist community they need to
attainable for less then a grand. We could write this code...

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-= Tom Cross AKA The White Ninja / Decius 6i5 */^\* -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=- DECIUS at ninja.techwood.org  GT7508B at prism.gatech.edu  =-=-=-=-=-=-=