[ale] Slackware 96?

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 24 08:48:18 EST 1997

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> }
> }On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Michael David Ivey wrote:
> }
> }> I'm about to do a new install, and don't want to have to do the
> }> 1.2.13->2.0.* upgrade path....is Slackware 96 a 2.0 system? And, does
> }> anybody know who has CD's, intown?  I don't have time to order one.
> }
> }Please don't use Slackware! ;-)
>
> Would you care to elaborate or substantiate?

I would, but Byron's already taken care of it for me.  To summarize,
Slackware often has outdated packages, its packages tend to be broken more
than your average RedHat/Debian/Caldera/SuSE/etc. package, it has no
package management, etc.

Since I maintain the Changes file for the kernel, I get a fair amount of
"help me 'cause my system is broken" emails.  Lots of them are just what
basically amount to bugs in Slackware.

Slackware was great at one time.  I ran three or four different versions
of it personally.  I think Linux distribution is just too big for one man
anymore....

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                   gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu

"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities."
                 -- Walt Kelly