[ale] Video Card

Craig McDaniel kreg at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 18 23:22:26 EST 1997

RHS Linux User wrote:

> Hello ale:
>
> I have a Gateway 2000 with an STB Virge video card with 4 meg ram.  I have
> version 2.0.0 of RedHat on my machine.  I am unable to run X on the console.
> The command X -probeonly returns with the message "S3: unknown chip set".
> Also, the card is not recongized at startup.  The dmesg command reveals the
> folling message: Warning : Unknown PCI device (5333:883d).  Please read
> include/linux/pci.h.  By the way, this is a PCI bus.  The version of XFree86 I
> have is uhh... uhh... well, I don't know how to tell what version I have.
> Right now, I'm running X from an NCD X-Terminal, but want to get on the
> console.  Anyone have any ideas for me?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give...
>
> --
>   **************************************************************************
>   ********************** Enhanced Solutions Computing **********************
>   **************************************************************************
>   *          Terry Lee Tucker                  E-Mail: terry at esc1.com      *
>   *          5505 Raintree Trace                 Work: 770.965.9294        *
>   *          Oakwood, GA 30566 USA               Home: 770.967.9108        *
>   **************************************************************************
>   * John 14:6  Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.   *
>   *            No one comes to the Father except through me."              *
Yes, I had a similar problem.  I had to download the new Virge chipset
thing from the XFree people.  Sorry, I didn't write down the ftp site
name.  I'll go ahead and upload the driver to my ftp site:
ftp.mindspring.com/users/kreg/X32S3V.tgz
You'll have to make sure that you're pointing to it somehow.  In my
RedHat system I had to change the symbolic link in /etc/X ->
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3V.
Good luck,
Craig McDaniel