[ale] XTERM, vt102 emulation, and keymapping.

Jeff Barber jeffb at issl.atl.hp.com
Thu Feb 6 07:59:25 EST 1997

Steven A. Duchene writes:

> > Also, the man mentions a way of remapping keys by using Xresources.
> > However, I don't want to remap these keys for all the xterms I run, just
> > the ones I use to connect to our HP.  Is there a way to specify per xterm
> > which resources to use?
>
> All Xresources can be set on a per client basis by bringing up a
> particular instance of that client with a "-name" option and then
> assigning a resource based on that name rather than client class name.
> An example of this would be to bring up an xterm window with the following
> command:
>
> xterm -name Console
>
> and then set a resource based on that client name with
>
> Console*loginShell: true
>
> Then that resource setting would only take effect for a client with
> that name. Unfortunately if you bring up an instance of an xclock and
> give it a "-name Console" option this resource will apply to it also.

You can also give resource values on the command line.  Even if there's
no explicit option corresponding to the resource, anything that can be
put in .Xdefaults can be specified with the -xrm option.  For example:

    xterm -xrm '*ttyModes: erase ^H'

So you could easily create an alias or shell script to invoke xterm
with the right settings.

-- Jeff