[ale] My PCMCIA modem.

Zot O'Connor zot at crl.com
Sun Feb 2 17:27:04 EST 1997

nomad wrote:

> Now I have a semi-modem related question,
> when it dials I get about a 26-28.8 connection.  The connection seems
> VERY slow thought.  I don't actually ever get a login prompt before my
> script times out (set at 40 seconds from when I get the connection).
> When I use minicom I get modem input overruns and it is VERY slow.

Turn on all messaging within the modem init string.  Depending on the
modem atx7, at&Q and at&N may nned top be set to have the modem return
all information.  Here is what my courier returns:

Jan 30 08:05:13 zotnet chat[8902]: expect (ogin:)
Jan 30 08:05:13 zotnet chat[8902]:  26400/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS^M

This lets me know the speed, Auto Reliable Mode, V34, LAPM is an error
checking ptorocol, and V42bis is compression.

I could get even more info (carrier, and other stuff) if I needed.

also on the courier I can send ati6 after the call and it reports all
the stats for the call, see if you can too.

And then try calling several different places to check the other ends.

Oh, what carrier speed are you running at?  If you talk tot he modem at
19200 and connect at 26400 (tricky but possible) things do get wierd..

Zot O'Connor                     zot at crl.com
Home Page:                       http://www.crl.com/~zot/
Improv Page:                     http://www.crl.com/~zot/improv.html
World Wide Web Calendar:         http://www.wwwcal.com