[ale] [Fwd: Announcing: The Open Hardware Certification Program]

Dan Newcombe newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Tue Aug 26 17:55:28 EDT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Greg Vence wrote:
>The Open Hardware Certification Program is a self-certification
>program for hardware manufacturers. By certifying a hardware device as
>Open, the manufacturer makes a set of promises about the availability
>of documentation for programming the device-driver interface of a
>specific hardware device. While the certification does not guarantee

So.   All that matters is if it says it is Win9x compatiable.  This is not
going to sway hardware manufactuers, since most of the world will be
running their hardware under NT, 95/98, or Novell, something they can
easily provide drivers for.  The small percentage running it on another OS
won't justify them divulging their info.

Nice try though.

Dan Newcombe                                      newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
"Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe, But was
 that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?"  --Marillion