[ale] Re: DiamondStealth and frame buffer...

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Aug 18 17:46:46 EDT 1997

On Aug 18, Robert L. Harris wrote:

>   I have a AHA3940UW scsi controller in my machine now.  I also have a
> Diamond Stealth VRam (3000 series) card.  Since I put the 3940 in I can
> not run X.  THIS IS NOT AN X PROBLEM  NO FLAMES PLEASE.

it might be a X problem (well, there is a hardware bug in the S3 968 chip
which can show such symptoms for some configurations with SCSI controllers).

make sure you're using XFree86 3.3 or newer (3.3.1 is recent)
which works around this bug!  if you're already using this version,
please send the output of "cat /proc/pci" after reboot plus
"X -probeonly" which might not crash the system...

> Adaptec says it's a problem with the video card.  Diamond admits it's a
> problem with the video card.  They say there is a "bug" in the
> framebuffering and if it can be "readjusted" it would solve the problem.
> I don't know how many other people have had this problem and spent $$$
> we don't have to buy new cards thinking the card is toast but I can't
> afford to.  Does anyone know who/how/where I should look about the
> framebuffering and how trivial it is?  Could this be a reccomended

well, your signature gives the pointer:  man XF86Config ;-)

> perl -e 'print
> $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

true, but most people usually don't :-(

another usual omission in problem/bug reports (like your's;) is not to
mention any version number of the software and/or drivers being used
or including debug output.   having that information from your Xserver
I could be more detailed (and could save time typing common blurb)...

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\