[ale] MPEG help needed

Alexei Rodriguez alexei at cimedia.com
Tue Aug 5 17:02:04 EDT 1997

Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> Hey, guys.
>
> A guy here at Mindspring needs to take a bunch of jpeg's and make a single
> mpeg out of it.  Anyone know how to do that under Linux?  I tried briefly
> to use Imagemagick, but I had no luck, and he swears to have pored over
> the man pages to convert, etc, for hours, to no avail.  I'm not too up on
> the whole mpeg thing, so I'm pretty lost.
>
> Any pointers are appreciated.

There are a few encoders out there. The one I have worked with is
mpeg_encode-1.5b from
ftp://mm-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU/pub/multimedia/mpeg/encode/.

It can take a few different sources, including jpeg.

A good source for finding things of this nature (if they are not on
one of the Linux sites) is ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/ports.
There are categories there, and under each category there is a makefile
for the package (which includes the location for grabbing the source).

Hope this helps.

Alexei