[ale] "at" question

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Sat Oct 26 12:30:44 EDT 1996

Andy Grover Writes :
:
:I'm trying to whip something up in linux to act as an alarm clock, that
:is, I specify a time, or an amount of time, and my computer starts beeping
:when that time arrives.
:
:What I've tried so far is writing a little program in C that beeps a lot,
:and then using at to tell the pc when to execute it, but it's not working.
:The at job is just disappearing off the at queue at the appointed time.
:
:Is there an existing program to do this, or any ways to do it other than
:writing a full-blown c or perl program?
:
Hi Andy,

   I'd use Geoffrey's script, it's much nicer to have a voice than a
couple of beeps :))

   Anyway, you're probably curious about why your C program didn't work
with "at".

   Most likely you were printing the bell (ASCII 007) character to make
the beeps, this works great when you run it from the shell because the
controlling tty is a tty device that will process the bell character.
However, when the job is run by "at" the stdout gets redirected and the
bell is still being printed, but since stdout is not a real tty, you won't
hear the sound.

            /   __  __  __  - __  __ / - _  __  ologgio at vrainn.com
  Omar R.  /__ /_/ /_/ /_/ / /_/ /_/ / /_  /-_  CIS: 74040,1543
                  __/ __/
___C++/6_yrs____Virtual Reality/4_yrs____Vorl_____Linux(free)_______
VR site: http://www.hitl.washington.edu/