[ale] Screen Blanking

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Tue Nov 12 16:03:16 EST 1996

Michael Morris Writes :
:
:In Redhat 4.0, what is the routine that blanks the screen after a few
:minutes, and where is it called from? Under my older versions of
:Slakware, 'setterm -blank 15' was called from /etc/rc.d/rc.M, but I
:cannot find a comparable call in Redhat.
:--
:Ciao,
:	Michael Morris
:	mjm at avana.net
:

Hi Michael,

   The blank interval is set to a default of ten minutes (in 2.0.25)
when the console is initialized in the kernel (drivers/char/console.c).
If you look in that file, there is a line like:

static int blankinterval = 10*60*HZ;

Since it takes 1 minute for 60 hertz to occur, the default blank interval
is set to ten minutes.

You can still change it with setterm as always.....

            /   __  __  __  - __  __ / - _  __  ologgio at vrainn.com
  Omar R.  /__ /_/ /_/ /_/ / /_/ /_/ / /_  /-_  CIS: 74040,1543
                  __/ __/
___C++/6_yrs____Virtual Reality/4_yrs____Vorl_____Linux(free)_______
Apple ]['s, remember Applesoft?