[ale] SCO

William Mahavier wsm at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Nov 12 13:07:20 EST 1996

Jeff Barber writes:

>Here're 3 reasons from one who used to run SCO but switched to Linux:
>
>Last time I checked, you don't get the source code with the SCO unix.
>So what happens if you run into a problem?  Who you gonna call?  With
>Linux, you can look for yourself, or post here or to one of the newsgroups
>where people familiar with the source can provide answer.

I did try it. 1.1.59 umsdos. I loved it. Then I decided to upgrade
to 2.0.

X windows did not work. I need to upgrade to 3.2 and hope for the
best.

I could not get my postcript printer to work without a lot of
reading. I got aps-filter and it did not work. I had an older
version and did not know it. I still can't print ascii files,
but after much reading I now know what to do to write a needed
filter.

My fdformat will not work on several floppys all of which are
new. I have no idea where to look to solve this. Nor did I get
any help yet from this group on my recent post. I don't even know
what nfo I should post to get help. man fdformat was no help.
I grepped the linux faqs. I will look for a floppy howto and maybe
the source for fdformat.

****
     I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try or read to
     solve my fdformat problem
*****
So I am tempted to try SCO, hoping a stripped down version will
work. I do not require a lot from linux/unix. I would like a
windowing system, a printer and a floppy for backup.

And uucp. I haven't tried that yet.

However, I will keep plugging for a while at least and hope things
get better. They couldn't get worse. Besides, I enjoy learning what
makes stuff tick. That is what I like about linux.

In the meantime I can use win95 for zmodem transfer, rlogins,
editing and printing. Right now I am glad to have it.