[ale] INFO on the next Atlanta Net Day

Curt Smith curts at compgen.com
Tue Nov 12 10:43:49 EST 1996

INFO on the next Atlanta Netday,
-------------------------------

Back ground info:

	Public schools are being connected to the internet in many
	cities around the country.

	The $$, materials and internet connection are being provided by
	network equipment vendors like 3com, and ATT for the ISP etc.

	The installation labor for LAN and wall connectors is being
	provided by volunteer help.

Need:

	Volunteers to help string ethernet, cut holes in walls etc etc
	at local Atlanta schools.

How I found out about this:

	I read a note in the Atlanta Computer Currents newspaper and
	called the phone number; 770-951-0048.  This reaches Jane Krosher
	(who's CC'ed on this email) who is a coordinator of some aspects
	of Netday.

What's happening next:

	The Atlanta Netday is tentatively being planned for Feb. '97.  No
	day picked yet.

	There's a high level coordination meeting planned for Dec 6 '96
	at Ga Tech GCATT Building, 9:30-11:00 AM.

	Jane, says this is a limited attentance planning meeting.

	Perhaps one representative from ALE and AUUG could attend to help
	feed information down to their members and help get lists of names
	of volunteers together.

What is needed from AUUG and ALE by Dec 6 '96.

	A volunteer from each org. to attend the GA Tech meeting.
	I'm volunteering if there is no one from each group who
	already works in the GA Tech area.  I work in the Perimeter
	Mall area, so it would be 1/2 day or so off work to attend, but
	I'm willing.

	Is there anyone from ALE and AUUG who can make this meeting?

Yours, curt.

Curt Smith
curts at compgen.com
(w) 404-705-2854