[ale] NIS & YP

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Mon Nov 4 10:20:39 EST 1996

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu  Mon Nov  4 09:44:32 1996
> Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 09:34:59 -0500
> From: David Hamm <dhamm at itserve.com>
> To: ALE <ale at cc.gatech.edu>
> Subject: [ale] NIS & YP
>
> I'm courious about NIS & YP.  I read the howto this weekend and it
> sounded like somthing I was interested in but I don't understand how it
> deals with user ids.  Lets say I have 3 computers running NIS and they
> are considered work group servers and on each of them I mount the others
> harddrive.  When a user from computer A logs in does that user get a
> unique user ID so that if he writes somthing to one of the NFS mounted
> drives It has his unique uiser id.
Yes, same UID on all machines.

> Thanks
>
> David

Hi, David,

NIS uses a client-server model where one of your machines is designated
as the server and the rest are clients.  Only the server maintains the
user database, essentially a single /etc/passwd and /etc/group file, etc.
The client machines then share these files.

A user on any machine has the same login id, password and UID.

If he changes the password on any machine, it is changed on all.
It's nice when working with NFS.  You don't have to have maps to
associate a UID on one machine with another.

Jim.

Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269