[ale] IP Accounting...

Matt McMillin imnlfn at atlanta.com
Thu Mar 28 11:20:30 EST 1996

Thomas -

I _believe_ "ipfw" stands for "IP firewall."  In any case, I am using a version of
ipfw with an IP_MASQUERADE patch for the 1.2.13 kernel to provide basic
routing of IP packets back and forth between my little home network and my
ISP, using my Linux box as a gateway.

According to the NET-2 HOWTO, "The ipfw command is normally used to
configure the Linux firewall facility and because your masquerading host is
acting as a firewall of sorts ipfw has been modified to take on this additional
function."

To get this version of ipfw (with the IP_MASQUERADE patch), look in
ftp://ftp.eves.com/pub/masq.  At least that would give you _some_ version of
ipfw, along with the man pages that come with it.

I unfortunately don't know anything about actually using ipfw for firewalling, so
if that's what you seek, I have to apologize for my ignorance.  I haven't heard
of ipfwadm, either.

Your subject line indicates an interest in IP accounting.  My impression is
that, after you've enabled accounting in the kernel, getting it to "account"
doesn't involve too much more work.  However, I've never looked into doing it
for real, so I could be completely off the mark.

I hope I've been at least _some_ help,
-M