[ale] PPP setup

Tsannhui Chu tchu at glenatl.glenayre.com
Fri Mar 22 11:15:29 EST 1996

Help!

I have 1.3.75 kernel installed on my pentium PC, and I tried to install ppp
version 2.2.0e, when I ran 'make config' inside /usr/src/linux, and set PPP
to yes, I got following message:

*
* CPP compressors for PPP are only built modules
*

and after I ran 'make dep; make clean', then 'make zImage'. I copied new kernel
to my installation directory.  When I reboot the system, I got the following
line:

PPP Version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)

I checked /proc/net/dev, there is no ppp channel, I only have following
statements:

Inter-|   Receive                  |  Transmit
 face |packets errs drop fifo frame|packets errs drop fifo colls carrier
    lo:      0    0    0    0    0       12    0    0    0     0    0

Thanks for any help.

my e-mail address is tchu at glenatl.glenayre.com