[ale] new PC upgrade

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 16 09:05:18 EST 1996

> 	BTW, on my system as I told you at the meeting the actual compile
> 	time for a 1.2.10 kernel (the make zImage step) is just over 10
> 	min. so you should be able to better this by a min or two assuming
> 	you have at least 16Mb of memory also.

I took your advice and timed a kernel compile. Took 9 minutes 50 seconds. I
believe you said your P90 took the same time give or take a few seconds.
Looks like the thing really is as fast as they say it is.  Oh yeah, I do
have 16MB of RAM. I'm also thinking that since gcc puts all its intermediate
files in /tmp that disck access will also be a crucial factor. I think
going from ISA scsi to PCI scsi should boost the performance as well.

Vernard Martin
(vernard.martin at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/vernard/
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332