[ale] ISDN???

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Fri Mar 15 21:32:29 EST 1996

}	As I understand it from reading the ISDN For Dummies book
}	ISDN needs things connected in parallel rather than serial
}	like most residential phone lines are done now.
}
}			|
}	I.E.  Like	^   instead of        -P--P--P-
}		       / \
}		      |   |
}		      P   P

This is news to me, thanks for the update.  This would make the rewiring a
bigger job then I thought.

}
}
}> You need to decide whether you want an internal or external AT.  If you get
}> an internal, you have no phone service if you computer is down or off.  If
}> you get an external, your serial port must have the latest greatest UART chip
}> that will give you the best throughput.  The guy I talked to at Bell South
}> says that there is some software that you can get that will enhance your
}> throughput even more.  He also said that Bell South has done 1000s of ISDN
}> configurations via Motorola Bitserfers...
}>
}	Again from reading the same book I understand there are other types
}	of ISDN devices that let you connect your computer to the device
}	via a ethernet connection instead of a serial line. This would
}	seem to be the better solution since all that would be needed in
}	the computer would be a NIC and that would eliminate any concerns
}	about whether your UARTS were up to snuff. I am not sure what these
}	types of devices are called but most of the inexpensive ISDN equipment
}	is the serial type so this might be something to watch out for.

I just posted another message regarding UART speed.  If you have a 16550A
which is the latest greatest (to my knowledge) then you have a max baud
of 115200 which will be plenty for a single 64k ISDN channel.  I believe
you are correct regarding the higher price on the ethernet enabled TA.

}
}--
}Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600
}
}	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
}		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
}    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   eiger at ichange.com   gamyers at attmail.com

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....