[ale] DNS Name

Alfred Grahame Leach aleach at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 9 12:45:52 EST 1996

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Michael David Ivey wrote:

> Ok, I have one name for my machine, but I want to
> register an alternate name, with a second level domain, and InterNIC
> wants DNS service to already know of that hostname.  So, how can I get 2
> servers to know that this second name is my machine?  If I ran DNS on my
> machine, would that be one?  And if I could get someone else to add it,
> would that count as two?  Or am I going to have to pay someone, other
> than the 100 bucks to InterNIC?  Anyone done this before?  I'm new to the
> DNS world, and want to get more info on it.  Thanks!
>

> -michael
>
> ALL DONE.  BYE BYE!
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> $name="Michael Ivey";  $title="System Administrator, gstv.gsu.edu";
> $email="ivey at gsu.edu";  $www="http://gstv.gsu.edu/~ivey/";
> print "$name, $title\nEmail: $email\nURL: $www\n\nYet another Perl hacker\n";
> print "for PGP key, etc: mail ivey at gstv.gsu.edu with Subject: GET LIST\n";

Hi.

I'm also fairly new to DNS, but I do know that there's such a thing as a
CNAME DNS entry which stands for canonical name, and basically provides
for aliasing of hosts, etc.  Maybe this could be useful.  I'm not really
sure what you're trying to do exactly, but this might be a way of doing
it.  You might also want to check out MX records (Mail eXchanger) -
similar, but different - really intended more to make one machine act as
your mail exchanger in the situation where your host is not directly
connected to the Internet...  Don't know if this is helpful or rubish,
but I tried!

- Al Leach