[ale] setting up dial up

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Thu Mar 7 07:44:18 EST 1996

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> Hey folks, I'm trying to set up my Linux box at home so I can dial in from
> work.  I was able to set the modem register that says to answer and I enabled
> the getty on ttyS0.  Now the problem is, the modem answers but I don't get
> a login prompt.  So, what am I doing wrong, or where can I look in the
> HOWTO's to get the answers.
>
> Also, I want to be able to use the line for calling out too, but once I
> started the getty, I couldn't dial out.  I know that in SVR3 UNIX there
> was this horrible monster called uugetty that would allow this.  I'm hoping
> that Linux has something that does the same thing, only better....  Any
> suggestions??
>

>        Until later,       attmail!gamyers      ph  404.810.3250
>        Geoffrey Myers                          fax 404.810.2487
>
>        floc 6E26, 1200 Peachtree, Promenade II, Atlanta, GA 30309
>
>       gamyers at attmail.com   geof at denali.is.net   eiger at ichange.com

In the serial.howto (I think) it tells you how to set up getty_ps (again,
I think) to handle dial-in.  I did that once and it worked ok.

I recently installed efax, which is supposed to do either fax or data
connections, but so far I haven't been able to connect to it as
a data connection except for one time.  So, if you want to play
a bit, efax is a simple install.  getty_ps is more complicated.

There are probably other, better ways, but no one could tell me how
when I asked a few months ago.

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269