[ale] NetsRAPE crash X.

Andy dread at atlcom.net
Thu Jun 20 02:02:21 EDT 1996

Steven A. DuChene wrote:

> > Steven A. Duchene wrote:
> > >
> > > What version and type of netscape binary did you install? ELF or a.out?
> >

> Andy replied:
> > ELF I dont even think th A.out would load or run on an ELF system Will it?
> >

> Well it all depends on whether you have the additional libraries on your
> system and what you ld.so.conf file is setup to point to. Do you have
> a /usr/i486-linuxaout directory
Yes I have both.
> or is there something listed in your
> /etc/ld.so.conf file that points to something other than /lib, /usr/lib,
> /usr/local/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/openwin/lib, or other normal library
> locations? As you can see from the following ldd output the a.out version
> of netscape-1.11N is linked against just libc
>
> sduchene:~# ldd `which netscape`
>         libc.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.5pl26) => /lib/libc.so.4.7.6
>
> however my ELF copy of netscape-3.0b4 is linked dynamically against quite
> a bit more
>
> sduchene:~# ldd `which netscape_3.0`
>         libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0
>         libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6.0
>         libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.0
>         libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.0
>         libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.7
>         libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.1
>         libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1
>         libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1.7.14
>         libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.3.12
>
> Since I have both ELF and a.out libraries on my system I am able to run either
> one.

This is what I get.
xervnet:~/netscape$ ldd netscape
        libm.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.5pl26) => /lib/libm.so.4.6.27
        libc.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.5pl26) => /lib/libc.so.4.7.2

also I get this when I file.
xervnet:~/netscape$ file netscape
netscape: Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (QMAGIC)

I am positive that I downloaded from the ELF directory
on Netscape's Server. version 2.02.

> Also in a previous letter I suggested the following:
> >         The second method of getting back into your system involves accessing
> > it via a serial port or telneting into it over a network. Once your in you
> > can try killing off the Xserver or just rebooting the system.
>
> Andy replied:
> > But I cant dial into the system 'cause for some reason I have to disable uugetty on
> > on the serial port inorder to get ppp-on to dial(it tries then quits before dialing).
> > no network connection besides the internet at that time and cant get in through there.
>
> As I'm sure Dave Ritchie could tell you, there are more ways than through a modem to
> access your system using the serial ports. You could run a getty against another
> serial port in case you needed to get into your system. A simple null modem cable and
> your laptop would be enough to get you in.

This is a great theory but the only problem is that my notebook only has one serial port
and it doesn't work. thats why I had to buy a costly PCMCIA Modem.
Is there a way to tell getty to listen to parallel Port ?

> BTW, I am still running a uugetty against my modem as well as connecting to mindspring
> without any problems. Perhaps you need to look into the options you are using for your
> uugetty defaults.
> --
> Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene
>
>                 isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
>                     -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"

I guess this is my next project. I will check the gettydefs again more closely.

			Thanx
				../andy

ps So far so good. All I did was upgrade the server an i haven't had a crash yet. This is the
longest netscape hase gone with no problems