[ale] NetsRAPE crash X.

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Thu Jun 20 00:42:25 EDT 1996

> Steven A. Duchene wrote:
> >
> > What version and type of netscape binary did you install? ELF or a.out?

Andy replied:
> ELF I dont even think th A.out would load or run on an ELF system Will it?

Well it all depends on whether you have the additional libraries on your
system and what you ld.so.conf file is setup to point to. Do you have
a /usr/i486-linuxaout directory or is there something listed in your
/etc/ld.so.conf file that points to something other than /lib, /usr/lib,
/usr/local/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/openwin/lib, or other normal library
locations? As you can see from the following ldd output the a.out version
of netscape-1.11N is linked against just libc

sduchene:~# ldd `which netscape`
        libc.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.5pl26) => /lib/libc.so.4.7.6

however my ELF copy of netscape-3.0b4 is linked dynamically against quite
a bit more

sduchene:~# ldd `which netscape_3.0`
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6.0
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.0
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.0
        libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.7
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.1
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1
        libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1.7.14
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.3.12

Since I have both ELF and a.out libraries on my system I am able to run either
one.

Also in a previous letter I suggested the following:
>         The second method of getting back into your system involves accessing
> it via a serial port or telneting into it over a network. Once your in you
> can try killing off the Xserver or just rebooting the system.

Andy replied:
> But I cant dial into the system 'cause for some reason I have to disable uugetty on
> on the serial port inorder to get ppp-on to dial(it tries then quits before dialing).
> no network connection besides the internet at that time and cant get in through there.

As I'm sure Dave Ritchie could tell you, there are more ways than through a modem to
access your system using the serial ports. You could run a getty against another
serial port in case you needed to get into your system. A simple null modem cable and
your laptop would be enough to get you in.

BTW, I am still running a uugetty against my modem as well as connecting to mindspring
without any problems. Perhaps you need to look into the options you are using for your
uugetty defaults.
--
Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"