[ale] Unstable Unstable Un%@#&stable

Andy dread at atlcom.net
Wed Jun 19 09:43:17 EDT 1996

Steven A. DuChene wrote:

> Andy wrote:

> >  Kernel Panic
> >  swapper: not syncing
> >  Stack overflow.
> >
> > Then I bite my tongue and cold boot. Then I have to go cleanup inodes
> > all over the place.
> >
> > I neve had any kinda problem like this before till I started using
> > netscape and ppp.
> >
> > anyone know what could be causing this?
> > Also is there a way to make X-windows a little more fault tolerant. ie
> > when a program crashes than not take the server with it like Microsoft
> > Windows 3.1 does. I hate to say it but 95 doesn't crash when a program
> > crashes. There must be something I am not doing correctly why the server
> > crashes with the app.
> >
>         I have a few suggestions and hints. First as you probably know when
> this happens your machine most likely has not hung but the Xserver has died
> and left your virtual consoles inaccessible. The trick is to either reboot
> the system sanely or somehow get back to a point where you can kill the
> Xserver.
>         The first can be accomplished with something call (I think) the
> joystick daemon. It is a daemon you can run and it lets you execute different
> commands like reboot by pressing a combination of buttons on your joystick.
> This is perfect for cleanly rebooting your system when the Xserver has hung
> since the keyboard and the mouse are tied up by the Xserver but not your
> joystick.

ooohh! Good idea with the joystick, i will try all this tonight and see what happens.

>         The second method of getting back into your system involves accessing
> it via a serial port or telneting into it over a network. Once your in you
> can try killing off the Xserver or just rebooting the system.

But I cant dial into the system 'cause for some reason I have to disable uugetty on
on the serial port inorder to get ppp-on to dial(it tries then quits before dialing).
no network connection besides the internet at that time and cant get in through there.

>         Next as to the cause of you problem, I don't remember what kind of
> video card you have but I would advise upgrading the latest and greatest
> version of the Xserver for that card. I believe XFree86 has a 3.1.2e beta
> version available from their ftp site.

Diamond Stealth 64 Graphics 2001 (S3 Vision868) using the one that came
with Infomagic 5cd-set Slak30ELF (everything off the CD except Netsrape).
I will look for new one tonite.

>         I would also try to isolate the cause of the problem by using netscape
> locally on your system without having ppp going. You can either snag a group of
> pages or use something like the html versions of the HOWTOs and Installation &
> Getting Started Guide that are on the Infomagic CD set.

This I shall also try tonite

> --
> Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene
>
>                 isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
>                     -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"

						Andy