[ale] telneting as root

Alfred Grahame Leach aleach at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 25 15:50:53 EDT 1996

Why can't I telnet into a linux box as root?  What configuration file
needs to change?  I'm running vanilla RedHat 3.0.3...

<servername> login: root
root login refused on this terminal.

Other users can telnet it, it would just save some time if I could telnet
in directly and not have to use another user id and then 'su' once
logged-in.  Security is not really a concern (I suspect this is why the
root telnet login is disabled)...

Also, is there a general source for info on the Linux daemons (telnetd,
ftpd, etc and what files are used to configure them?  While I've been
able to find enough info on the client parts of these protocols from man
pages, etc. it's been difficult to know about the server parts...

TIA

  | Al Leach              |  Georgia Tech              | Sailing is:       |
  | Graduate Student      |  College of Computing      |  hours and hours  |
  | MS, CS/Networking     |  Atlanta, GA 30332         |  of boredom,      |
  | email: aleach at cc.gatech.edu                        |  moments of sheer |
  | WWW: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/aleach   |  stark terror...  |
  |     < Georgia Tech - Olympic Village of the 1996 Summer Olympics >     |