[ale] Linux compile taking *REALLY* long

Alfred Grahame Leach aleach at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 17 15:14:34 EDT 1996

Thanks for everyone who replied to me regarding the my kernel compilation
problems.  It turns out that my problem was running Xwindows while
compiling.  In retrospect it makes sense that this is an inherently bad
idea on a machine with a whopping Bogomips rating of 12.52 (nice, eh? -
anything I can do to improve this?  Looking into upgrading with a Pentium
63 overdrive processor - is this a good idea?).  The compilation hasn't
completed yet, but it's a *WHOLE* lot further than it was before...

Thanks again!

- Al

  | Al Leach              |  Georgia Tech              | Sailing is:       |
  | Graduate Student      |  College of Computing      |  hours and hours  |
  | MS, CS/Networking     |  Atlanta, GA 30332         |  of boredom,      |
  | email: aleach at cc.gatech.edu                        |  moments of sheer |
  | WWW: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/aleach   |  stark terror...  |
  |     < Georgia Tech - Olympic Village of the 1996 Summer Olympics >     |